Clever, Cool and Creative….Nice to Meet You Articulate Storyline!
‘Articulate Storyline is simple enough for beginners and powerful enough for experts’
One of the common questions I get asked at my Articulate Training Workshops is if Articulate Storyline will replace Articulate Studio?! The answer is no. There will always be a place for Studio for the developer who works more in PowerPoint. Parts of Studio like Engage are more form based (limited in customisation to an extent). Storyline will allow more manipulation and customisation of screens with minimal programming skills. In a recent webinar I attended, Tom Kuhlmann explained that you’ll always have Storyline and Studio; it really depends on ‘needs and choices’.
Storyline is a standalone tool………… a complete authoring solution.
During the last few months I’ve been playing around with Storyline and have been so impressed. I was involved in the beta testing stage but found myself being a ‘lurker’. I’m not usually a lurker but I was fascinated by the beta testing group from a online community facilitator perspective. The beta tester group really helped Storyline evolve to what it is today. I love the way Articulate throw things back at the community, challenging us to ‘break’ Storyline if we could. They really listened to the group’s feedback, ideas and advice and ‘voila’…..we have Storyline! I could talk about how great the eLearning Heroes communityis until the cows come home… but I’ll leave that for another blog post. Okay down to business….my thoughts on Storyline so far.
- Interface is similar to PowerPoint so I felt within my comfort zone from the start.
- The ability to build interactive content without having any programming experience. …you’ll be the office hero in no time!
- Three publishing output options; Flash, html 5 and Publish to iPad (via the Articulate app)
- Ability to create variables (one of the most common examples for text variables is used to capture a learner’s name and then reference that name during and at the end of the course–often in the form of a course completion certificate)
- Storyview: provide you with an overview of your course so you can see what slides are linked, you can add scenes within this, move slides around to different scenes.
- Drag and Drop feature is easy to use and gives seamless results.
- Lightbox feature
- Editing shapes, images, text and background…feel like PPT…know where tools are and you feels comfortable working within it.
- Illustrated Characters are mapped to the software. You can choose from 20 men and 20 women and have a mix of ethnicity, ages, outfits etc. If you want to switch characters e.g. from male to female all the poses will remain the same.
- Screen Recording: this was my game changer. I loved how easy this was to use and record my screens and then have the options to show it in View, Try or Test Me modes. It’s then broken down into step by step slides where I can edit and delete sections I don’t need. Storyline keeps your entire screen recording within your project and allows you to reuse it more than once in the same story.
B Online Learning deliver the only Certified Articulate Storyline Training in Australia. Click here to find our more!